Through my experiences with sharing my faith at work or college, being the "church girl" and PK on my high school basketball team who invited their team to church but was stood up (twice 🙄💀lol), serving on street ministry teams, traveling the world and meeting people of different backgrounds and just studying God's word...
I have learned there are certain mindsets that help with sharing my faith and walking in my purpose and ministry more naturally. I've summarized 5 MINDSETS OF MINISTRY that have broken me free in moments of fear or nervousness or doubt.
THESE 5 MINDSETS OF MINISTRY BREAKDOWN INTO TWO MAJOR COMPONENTS - A FAITH FOUNDATION AND 3 MINISTRY MIND SHIFTS:
I think about Jesus and how He gathered disciples. He said come follow me, and I'll make you fishermen of men. Jesus taught them who He was, how to be men of faith, and how to love others. He empowered them with the Holy Spirit and then sent them on their way.
A foundation of faith gives us the confidence, knowledge, and stability to be good fishermen of men. So, the first to mindsets are about building your faith foundation:
1. FAITH AS A MUSTARD SEED
- Matthew 17: 20, Matthew 13: 31 - 32, Hebrews 11
- Jesus compares faith that has the power to move mountains to a mustard seed. He compares the Kingdom of Heaven as a planted mustard seed. Mustard plants, in particular the black mustard plant, spreads fast and high creating super blooms that completely transform a field.
- Having faith as a mustard seed is recognizing the potential and importance of planting your seed of faith, allowing it to grow, and producing spiritual fruit.
- And from the fruit more seeds of faiths are produced to plant into others.
2. 7 KEY COMPONENTS TO POWER YOUR CALLING
Ok so I'm a believer. I've planted my faith. Know what? Do I go around and just ask people to do the same?
Peter tells us we've got some work to do first. He tells us there are 7 components to add to faith. Adding these not only grows your faith but through these actions you will have clarity of your calling.
- 2 Peter 1: 4 - 11
- Add to Faith Virtue then Knowledge then Temperance then Patience then Godliness then Brotherly Kindness then Charity
- Peter said if you add these 7 components with diligence your calling will be made sure. This is the foundation built on faith that grounds your ministry. In this you gain knowledge of Christ...what He has for you, who He wants you to be, and what He wants you to do
Ministry Mind Shifts:
So I am building my faith foundation and want share my faith and minister to those around me.
"How do I do that?"
*Eagerly looks for people to convert* "hmm is this person a Christian?"
... Somewhere between not knowing what to do and worrying about my conversion count I realized I was going about this the wrong way. I needed to shift my way of thinking. So the last 3 mindsets are really mind shifts:
3. ASK WHAT WOULD JESUS DO → ASK JESUS, WHAT SHOULD I DO
One day walking into work thinking about how I can be a "good Christian" and share my faith...BUT then I stopped (literally stopped in my tracks) and asked God - "what should I do? Lord, please make an opening for your words to be heard to whoever needs them"...And He delivered. I had a lengthy conversation with a co-worker looking to know more about Christianity and it was a natural unforced conversation.
- James 1: 1-27, Philippians 4: 6 - 8, Romans 8: 26 - 27, Galatians 5:25, John 15:7, Jeremiah 33: 3
- We don't need to wonder "What Would Jesus do?"- Jesus has told us to ask Him. God sent His Holy Spirit so we would have the mind of Christ and be taught what to do.
4. LOOK TO CHANGE PEOPLE → LOOK TO CARE FOR PEOPLE TOO
That co-worker was going through a really tough time. But I didn't know it before. That conservation started out by just talking about life. We had a conversation because I cared not because I wanted to change him. In the end, he recognized he needed a change and he recognized what a change could look like through what God has done in my life.
- James 2: 13 - 17, 1 Corinthians 13, Philippians 2:4, Jude 1: 22 - 23, Luke 10:25 - 37
- We are ministers - minister meaning to attend to the needs of others. We are called to love others and think of other people needs above our own. In this love we care for peoples physical and financial needs BUT ALSO spiritual needs.
5. JUST APPROACH OTHERS → ALSO BE APPROACHABLE
In the beginning story of this post, I thought I need to be on the hunt to approach others about my faith. I thought if I don't say anything then I've lost my opportunity. But it's that hunt mentality that really causes so much pressure. God reminded me that people are looking for help and sometimes He just needs us to be ready and approachable.
- James 1:19, Galatians 5: 22 -23, Ephesians 4: 32, Colossians 3: 1 -17
- I've also caught myself listening only to reply. Being eager to speak and share isn't always a good thing. Slow to speak and quick to listen is the goal. It comes back to not hunting to change people but being that changed person.
- The bible describes it as putting on the "wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It’s your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it." Colossians 3: 12 -14 MSG
- Being that changed and new person makes us approachable.
So in addition to the 5 mindsets, I created Black Mustard Seed (BMS) Christian Streetwear to help other believers (and myself) be more approachable.
BMS is my tool for sharing faith with others. Through it I hope many seeds are planted and they produce fruits of ministry of their own. The 5 Mindsets of Ministry become a Seed to Fruit Cycle.
I hope these help you build a solid faith foundation and go out and minister to those in need. Download a FREE wallpaper for your iPhone or Android phone as encouragement to grow and share your faith!
GET YOURS TODAY: https://bmsclothingbrand.com/products/5-mindsets-of-ministry-iphone-and-android-wallpaper
Comment below what some thing that have helped you share your faith.